A Room with a View

Friday, July 29, 2005

Small beginnings...

Well, I've been 'getting around' to starting a blog for two months and have over-deliberated and procrastinated at every stage...What to call the blog? Whether to be anonymous or not? If so, what to call myself? What template to pick? Whether I will ever figure out html? How to create a blogroll? How to insert links? Arrrggghh. But given that one of the aims of this blog is to enable me to regularly write about and better understand my thoughts and feelings (about my life and interests, my research, politics and anything else that takes my fancy or gets me fired up), I figured it was a case of carpe diem or die! So, here it is...no fancy names, no fancy templates, and a waffly first post...but it can only get better from here, right?

So, who am I? Well, I'm a graduate research student in Law at the Oldest University in England (OUE) and having lived in the beautiful OUE City for the past two years, I've just moved back to Sleepy Boring Village on the South Coast (near to Sleepy Boring Seaside Town...noticing the theme here??!!) where my husband and I currently live. It's great to be back living with my husband full-time (in the absence of inspiration, let's call him Lovely Lawyer Husband (LLH)), but it's a culture shock to be back in the area in which I grew up (and pretty much thought I had finally escaped from!) and I miss the vibe of life and the stimulation of OUE City. Hell, I miss living somewhere where you can actually obtain a Mocha Frappuccino within an 20 mile radius? Yes, that's right, Sleepy Boring Seaside Town is sooooo boring that it doesn't even have a Starbucks, let alone cafes with wireless internet or anywhere that opens past 5pm. Grrrr! But, fear not, life will soon improve for Pink Cupcake (a future post will reveal why I chose this name) and Lovely Lawyer Husband...We're going to sell our house and move to Trendy Seaside City. Yay!

I guess that's enough for this post, except perhaps to say why I decided to start a blog...Well, in a moment of grad student angst I stumbled across some fantastic (mainly academic) blogs by Bitch PhD, Profgrrrrl, Bright Star, Jo(e), Ianqui and Russian Violets to name but a few, and over the last couple of months I've really enjoyed reading the regular posts/comments and gaining a sense of the community that exists in this corner of the blogosphere and, ummm, really just wanted to become a small part of it myself :-)

Bye for now...

6 Comments:

Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

welcome to the blogosphere! it's nice to hear from you. :) I would LOVE to know the origin of your psuedonym. I'm looking forward to reading that post.

10:27 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Thank you for the welcome B* - I'll definitely be posting on the pseudonym origin very soon.

8:38 pm  
Blogger RussianViolets said...

Yes, welcome, and I'm glad that you decided to start a blog. After the first few days, it feels very natural, and I'm now to the point where I feel twitchy if I don't blog almost daily. :-)

2:03 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Many thanks, Russian Violets. You're completely right, it is beginning to feel natural after just three days...potential posts keep popping into my head :) Thanks also for adding me to your blogroll.

4:10 pm  
Blogger Scrivener said...

Welcome to blogging!

10:51 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Thanks so much for stopping by Scrivener :)

9:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home