A Room with a View

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Brauser!

Lest anyone think that my trip to Germany was purely cultural, I guess I should confess that that was far from the truth! In fact, my friend from OUE invited me to Germany for a party, and party we did...On the Saturday evening the parents of my friend's girlfriend hosted an amazing party for around 35 family members, friends from school, med school, grad school etc. A few people knew each other before, but there was no awkwardness between the various groups, in fact there was no splitting into groups at all. Everyone joined in with everyone else. The party had the most amazing dynamic with people of all ages and nationalities just getting along like old friends. It was the best party I've ever been to, and, to be honest, like Phantom, I'm not particularly a big fan of large social gatherings with many people I don't know. But this party just felt so comfortable (despite the fact that LLH, my Canadian friend and I were the only non-German speakers). I really liked that nobody was trying to be cool or wild, but that everyone was just having a really fun time. I chatted with amazing people, from my friend's Mum, Aunt and Uncle, to a Lithuanian archaeologist, to a whole host of doctors who kept telling me to 'drink this, it's good for you!'. And before I knew it, my friend was strumming along on a guitar and everyone was huddled around singing together, and I even danced! Yes, it was slightly surreal to be doing the Time Warp in a garden in rural Germany, but, yeah, it was a blast.
And, of course, there was a lot of schnapps shots going around, some of which were drunk with Brauser...

Brauser is a sherbert-type powder, which comes in several fruit flavours (it's in the little sachets in the bowl), and is usually mixed with water to make a soft-drink for children (my Canadian friend said it was a little like Kool Aid). But on this occasion it was not mixed with anything...our German hosts instructed us to tip the powder into our mouths, swiftly followed by a shot of schnapps and then to shake our heads like crazy before swallowing. And, whoooah, does it fizz and tingle...I'm pulling a face just thinking about it! If you're ever in Germany I can recommend it, but not more than one or two... ;)

8 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

I love those kind of parties!

4:43 pm  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

That party sounds like my cup of tea, too. Or my stein of beer :)

5:14 pm  
Blogger Limon de Campo said...

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for the pictures--I always like looking at other people's vacation pictures. I'm the sort of person who would LOVE to be invited over to see the family albums. Actually knowing the subjects is optional for me.

9:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those drinks sound awesome...

10:57 pm  
Blogger diana christine said...

oh, i loved germany, stayed for 18 months! thank you for sharing...

3:27 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Oh Limon, I wish you lived near, you would be a prime victim for looking at all NINE albums of my wedding photos... :)

running2Ks - LOL at the stein of beer...LLH refuses to leave germany without having at least one foaming stein of beer! :)

Jo(e) - the family I stayed with were so hospitable and seemed to welcome so many extras that it did occur to me that they might be the German Jo(e)'s Family ;) I know you would have loved the party...

SFTR - My neuroscientist friend made the drinks...should that make me worry more??! ;)

diana christine - Glad you liked the posts, and thanks so much for stopping by my blog. :)

11:12 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are super cute! I have great "drinking in germany" memories too! I was an exchange student there for a summer ...

4:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about cottage cheese low fat
. You can check it out at cottage cheese low fat



Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

2:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home