A Room with a View

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Hiatus

As I've only posted three times in the last two months, I feel a bit silly writing a post to say that I'm going to take a hiatus from blogging. But I'm doing it because this time I've made a positive decision to take a break, rather than just thinking that I should post and then not doing so, (which has been the case for quite some time now). I seriously considered stopping altogether, but was quite surprised at how strongly I found myself not wanting to do that. Even though I haven't blogged properly in many months, I still see a small part of my identity as being someone who blogs.

I thought about why I haven't been posting and why I don't want to start again right now. It isn't because I'm fed up with blogging. I enjoy writing posts, reading others' blogs and commenting, and, even more, I love feeling part of the community that exists in this corner of the blogosphere. It's simply that I just don't have the energy at the moment. I realize how lame that sounds. I know there are people who are far, far busier than I am and who blog prolifically. I also know that in the past I could have found time to blog even if I were 5 times as busy as I am now. It's just not the way things are for me right now.

After three very difficult years (first with depression, then physical illness), I'm beginning to piece my life back together. It's going well. I'm slowly catching up with friends who have been neglected for far too long, I'm exercising regularly, I'm eating healthily, I'm (slowly!) making progress with my research, and am beginning to cross off tasks that have been sitting around on 'to do lists' for far too long. I really am getting there, but it's gradual. I'm trying (and this is very hard for me) not to overextend myself until I feel that I'm on top of things again. This may just take a few weeks, or perhaps a few months, I don't know. I need to regain my confidence in my abilities. I also need to make sure that I keep getting better physically. Once I am feeling more in control, Pink Cupcake will most definitely be back! I just didn't want to grow to hate blogging because it was one more thing that I felt guilty about or didn't have the energy to do.

In the meantime, I'll still be logging onto bloglines each day to avidly read your blogs. If I don't comment much (as I haven't done recently), please don't think I'm being rude or disinterested. That's not the case at all...

See you on the flipside. :)

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Cupcake, you know we all love you and wish you the best! Take time for yourself- it sounds like you are on a good trajectory and I'd hate to see you overextend yourself and get ill. Always so hard not to slip into overextending ourselves, I know. But so so much better not to! I know I will miss you and look forward to hearing from you on the flipside.

5:16 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Thanks so much, Turtlebella. :)

5:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself, Pink Cupcake! We'll miss you, but you need to be healthy and happy, and it'd be terrible for blogging just to inspire guilt. Best wishes to you! (and thanks for your recent e-mail!)

5:29 pm  
Blogger JM said...

see ya later!

5:31 pm  
Blogger jo(e) said...

It sounds like a healthy decision. And you can come back whenever you are ready ....

5:56 pm  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're getting your life back into a place that makes you happy! We'll miss you, of course, but I'll be looking forward to the time that you return.

1:47 am  
Blogger Alice said...

Best wishes! :)

4:34 am  
Blogger Seeking Solace said...

Of course we will miss you, but you have to do what you gotta do!

Take care of yourself! Stop by or email me at seeking_solace@adelphia.net.

3:56 pm  
Blogger comebacknikki said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better about your life now. Of course, we will all miss you, but we'll still be here when you decide you're ready to return.

Take care! :)

5:18 pm  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

I'm glad that you're getting a chance to get things back on track. You're lovely, Pinky.

6:01 am  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Hugs and lots of love and I'll be waiting!

3:14 am  
Blogger HappySlob said...

Hi Cupcake,

:) I just found your blog and hope to see you back soon. But I know exactly what you mean when you say you sometimes need a break from blogging - I'm a wee bit of a blogaholic myself.

Hugs,
HappySlob (aka Christina)

7:27 pm  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I'm glad to see you doing whatever it takes to make you feel better. We'll be here.

4:46 pm  
Blogger Limon de Campo said...

Just to let you know: I still check up on you. I hope all is well.

4:49 pm  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Happy New Year! I hope you are doing well and are keeping sweet as a cupcake.

3:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home