A Room with a View

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Vacation music...

I'm beginning to get very excited about going away tomorrow. Although we're only going to be in Germany for a few days, it feels like a bit of a milestone for me. Over the past year or so we had to cancel all our plans for non-UK vacations, mainly because I wasn't feeling well enough to travel, so it's wonderful to finally begin travelling again.
Whilst packing and cleaning, I've been thinking about songs that I associate with particular places that I've been to...I can't listen to the Foo Fighters' Learn to Fly without thinking about this random little supermarket in Novgorod, Russia, where the staff were wearing outfits just like those worn by the flight attendants in the Learn to Fly video...very surreal. And, Nickelback's How You Remind Me brings back memories of a coach journey between Tallinn, Estonia and St. Petersburg, Russia. I must have listened to that song about a billion times whilst making that trip. David Gray's Babylon will always remind me of hiking in the Polish mountains, as it was blaring out on the radio in a little snack bar at the top of one mountain. Umm, what else? Oh yes, Toploader's Dancing in the Moonlight takes me back to dinner in the Sphinx restaurant in Krakow's Old Town Square. That's a particularly good memory, as it's such an uplifting song from a band local to where I'm from in the UK, and we heard it whilst sharing a great meal with friends. Does anyone else have songs that remind them of particular places??
Right, well I may not post again before I leave early in the morning...I'm going to miss the blog for a few days (I doubt I'll be able to post, but will try to sneak one in if I can) and all of your blogs too. Have a great weekend and see you on Tuesday. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a wicked time!!

7:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home