A Room with a View

Saturday, August 13, 2005

The World's Largest Garden Spade...

Yes, indeed! Following yesterday's revelation that the World's Largest Garden Spade is now on display at the Sleepy Boring Village Garden Centre, I decided to enter into a little investigative photo-blogging to see if SBV is really living up to its pseudonym. Yes, dear readers, I will stop at nothing to bring you cutting-edge stories from this little corner of the world. ;) So, here we go...
First up, the no-expense-spared sign, clearly designed to lure thousands of vistors into the garden centre...

Once inside we had to vie with the masses for a parking space (well, not so much)...

And then, the big moment arrived, we saw the spade in all its glory...

As you can see from the chairs next to it, it was a reasonable size, but not nearly as big as I'd imagined. (Yes, LLH and I did ponder upon the size of the spade yesterday evening. I know, we need to get out more!) In fact, I'm sure that anyone wishing to break the world record wouldn't have too much trouble. Not that anyone would want to, of course. There were even pin badges to commemorate this auspicious occasion. ;) (Unfortunately the photo of the badge didn't come out well.) So there you have it, I do indeed live in Boringsville.

Oh yeah, I must confess that this photo-blogging would not have been possible were it not for the intrepid nature of LLH. The spade was positioned right by the check-out at the garden centre and there were tons of people around, and, ummm, I was way too embarrassed to stand there with a camera. I mean, what kind of geek would do that?! Even LLH took a little while to pluck up the courage - we walked around the garden centre so many times that we must have looked suspicious. In the end, I snuck off to buy cookies while he did the deed. :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spreding the comment cheer from Adjunct Kaits. That spade doesn't look all that big to me. Well, bigger than necessary, but not like the biggest spade in the whole wide world.

12:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by at Lam(b). I always wonder how things like this are verified. Have they really checked with each country to see if it really is the world's largest?

12:36 am  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

I thought this was the world's largest garden spade, but I guess it's a trowel:
http://www.detnews.com/2002/garden/0206/05/d01-497912.htm

2:15 am  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Thanks for stopping by Carrie and Lisa - I like this whole comment cheer thing :) And, I totally agree about the spade - it didn't seem particularly big to me either (just useless), and who knows how they've verified that it's a record breaker! The whole things a bit ridiculous if you ask me...

B*, thanks so much for the link. I think the trowel is way more impressive than the spade, maybe because it's bright red.

6:42 pm  
Blogger RussianViolets said...

Oh boy....that's bad. :-)

9:05 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1858/bigul8.jpg

This is me with the very same spade.

11:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home