A Room with a View

Friday, September 30, 2005

Back...

I'm very happy to say I'm back and I'm doing just fine. When I wrote my last 'I'll be back in a few days' post, I was frightened that this next post would be much bleaker, and I can't say how thankful I am that it doesn't have to be. I had been feeling pretty unwell in a whole host of different ways for a couple of weeks, including a reasonably large swelling on my right thigh. I won't go into any details, but the combination of the lump and other pains just completely freaked me out. I was utterly terrified and absolutely convinced of the worst. This wasn't helped by the fact that (until we move) my registered doctor is still in OUE City, so I had to make a three hour journey just to get to see her.
My appointment wasn't until yesterday, so for nearly a week I was trying to keep my fears under control, but really wasn't making a good job of it. At times I managed to stay calmish, but at other times I just lost it completely. I'm certain that losing my father to cancer when I was 14 has made me expect the worst in just about any situation. Other children's parents sometimes got ill, went to hospital, people worried, they maybe had an operation, they got better, and all was right with the world. That wasn't the case for me. My dad got ill, everyone told me things would be just fine, the doctors suspected that he may have gall bladder problems or something else not too serious, but things weren't fine. He went to hospital and never came home. He died within 3 weeks of being diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. That's why I find it so hard to believe that outcomes won't always be bad.
I spent the week blaming myself for ignoring little niggling physical symptoms over the past year or two, which I just really didn't have the energy to deal with when I was depressed and struggling with side-effects (and later withdrawal) from anti-depressants. I decided that if there was something seriously wrong, it was my fault for not addressing these problems earlier. I was distraught and angry that just as I felt my life was really coming together for the first time in years, it was about to fall apart. I was about to fall apart.
And so, it was in this happy frame of mind that I went to the doctor. LLH was able to take a day off to come with me. I don't know how I would have made it through the journey there without him, I was just so nervous. In some ways I was desperate to get the appointment over with, but in other ways I didn't want it to happen. As it turns out, the lump is nothing sinister (although I may need to have it removed at some point), and my many other symptoms are a multitude of minor problems that my doctor attributed to the fact that I've been drained and rundown for quite some time. So I just need to put some energy into getting fully better. I need to eat, relax and exercise properly, and stock up on vitamins, natural potions and supplements. Basically I need to be kinder to myself, but that's another thing I'm not very good at. I seem to have an inner need to over-compensate for the fact I was unwell with depression over the past couple of years, which results in me pushing myself too hard and beating myself up for not meeting my own standards. Yeah, I just need to chill a bit...
I am very happy though. Happy that there is nothing seriously wrong, and that I can now look forward to our move, the next phase of my research and also just enjoying life. I feel very fortunate. I also feel very sleepy. So I'm going to go curl up on the sofa with LLH and a new book about cats that I got today. There's lots more I want to blog about (including 5 great questions that Running2Ks wrote for me, and the Seven Surprising Things meme), but I'll save all that for tomorrow. Until then, thank you so much for all of your supportive comments and good wishes - I really did appreciate them enormously. And, although I didn't really comment much this week, reading all your blogs was one of the only things that could distract me from my fears for a little while, so thank you for that too. :)

15 Comments:

Blogger RussianViolets said...

Oh, PC, I'm glad that you're back and doing well. Health scares really are the worst, aren't they? Hugs to you!

8:52 pm  
Blogger Limon de Campo said...

I'll echo RV. What a traumatic situation! I don't know how you managed to keep it together. I'm glad you are okay.

9:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

babe, glad you're back. Sounds like a horrendous week. You've really been through it, haven't you? But love, have to say - you've got a cracking attitude! Glad you're feeling more positive, and do be kind to yourself - you really are worth it.
(what was the book?)

10:38 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG, is cracking a work british people really use? I thought it was just something the characters on Wllace and Gromit used!

I'm glad you are ok. Withdrawal from antidepressants is horrific and most psychiatrists seem unaware of this or deny it.

2:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that there's nothing seriously wrong! I hope you start to take care of yourself and feel better.

(Meanwhile, I'm sticking my fingers in my ears about the issue antidepressant withdrawal...la la la I can't HEAR you...)

3:50 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Antidepressant withdrawalneed not be horrible if you do it under supervision and if you do it extremely extremely slowly. The problem is that since so many psychiatrists and physicians don't believe there are withdraawal effects, they don't take care to do this.

5:09 am  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Thank you all so much - you've really helped me through this.

LOL at Shrinky thinking that only Wallace and Gromit say 'cracking'! I'm afraid most of us English do. :)

Shrinky and New Kid - In the UK, anti-depressants are generally prescribed by your general doctor, not a psychiatrist. I saw a psychiatrist for therapy, but she had nothing to do with my medication (and this is usual here). I personally don't think this should be the case - I don't really think that the doctor who would treat my ear infection or sprained ankle should also be the same person who prescribes anti-depressants. They don't have the correct expertise, especially in cases like mine where it took a long while to find an appropriate anti-depressant and an appropriate dose.
As far as withdrawal goes, it took me six months to come off the anti-depressant that I was taking. Even after very gradual reduction over this time (during which I had pretty bad withdrawal symptoms anyway), I had horrible withdrawal symptoms when I came off the lowest possible amount. I couldn't stand up unaided for several days, and I was dizzy and nauseous even when laying down. I wasn't surprise by this as I'd had similar experiences if I was ever late with a dose. Also, just as I was coming off, my doctor received a notification from the Government Health Dept. advising that this particular antidepressant no longer be prescribed, because of the problems of withdrawal. This was no use to me!
But, New Kid, Shrinky's right that withdrawal can be ok with most anti-depressants if reduced extremely slowly. I didn't have any problems with the other 3 types that I was prescribed before the Effexor. I hope that (if you are on medication at the moment) that you don't have any troubles with withdrawal etc.
Gosh, I've gone on a lot - I should probably post about all this in more detail at some point...

1:45 pm  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

HOW SCARY PC!!! I would have been freaked also, you poor thing. I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better and I have also heard terrible things about anti-depressant withdrawal. Hugs for a better next year and lots of happiness coming your way.

4:27 pm  
Blogger YelloCello said...

A little late to this... but I am so, so, so glad that you're okay. Do continue to be good to yourself, please.

8:16 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cracking good response, pinky c! :) Effexor can be horrible from which to withdraw due to its half-life. I'm so sorry.

Cheeeeese, gromit, cheeeese. How many days till W&G comes out? Yay!

11:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Discount Hydro!

5:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, I'm just a retiree from North Carolina cruising around the net and
looking for interesting blogs. Came across your blog and thought I 'd say hello.
Nice work you done on your blog.

Regards,
Jason


laser hair removal las vegas

4:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adipex is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. Adipex affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety.

9:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are over 65 years of age, you may be more likely to experience side effects from Pentazocine. Your doctor may prescribe a lower dose of the medication.

10:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tramadol may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives

3:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home