A Room with a View

Monday, September 12, 2005

Woo hoo!

I'm probably the most pro-European English person you will ever meet, but that in no way detracts from the fact that I'm very English. I love tea, scones, cucumber sandwiches, Pimms, Shakespeare, tennis and CRICKET. Yes, CRICKET, and I can't help but take this opportunity to say a massive YAY to our wonderful team, who spectacularly won back the Ashes from Australia after 18 years, in what was indisputably one of the most amazing test series in memory. I love every single one of them...the wonderful Lancastrian, Andrew (Freddie) Flintoff, our adopted South African, Kevin Pietersen (go his 158 runs in the last innings!), and the oh-so-English captain, Michael Vaughan. It's not often that we English can have real national pride in our sporting achievements, but we definitely can right now. We beat the best in the world fair and square, and I'm going to enjoy rubbing that in with my Aussie friends in a few e-mails and calls tomorrow...GO ENGLAND! WOO HOO!

4 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

Hooray England! [I know where my ancestors come from, so I can claim a piece of the 'hooray!'.] But still, cricket confuses the hell out of me. You'll have to post a cricket primer. :)

10:05 pm  
Blogger Scrivener said...

Oh good idea about the primer, because I don't understand it at all.

11:01 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

I'm trying to find this really funny poem called 'The Rules of Cricket for Foreigners', and I'll also get a basic explanation up at some point. All my non-English friends at grad school ask me about cricket too, but I really think the best way to understand is to watch with a native...So if you're ever passing my way we'll take some tea, eat scones and watch an innings or two. :)

4:19 pm  
Blogger JM said...

it's a deal!

11:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home