A Room with a View

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Feeling crafty...

I visited a very cute little craft centre with my Mum today, and it was lots of fun to look at all the different items people had made. All manner of crafts were on display...paper items, hand-made cards, decorated wood, needlework, fabrics of all sorts, beads and lots of knitted items. Whilst I've always loved browsing at craft centres, I've never really got into crafts myself. I don't think it's because I'd be hopeless, but because I've always seen it as something I don't have time for. I was really happy with the invites and other stationery that I made for our wedding, but aside from that, I've never really made anything. Maybe I've never recovered from the trauma of my sewing teacher at school making me unpick and re-sew a pencil case way too many times! But now seems like a good time to do something a bit creative...something to provide me with a little distraction from everything else that's going on. But what??? I want to start with something simple enough that I won't get frustrated and throw it in the bin. Maybe make something Christmassy...cards? Maybe a simple knitting project? If so, what?
Any ideas and advice from crafty bloggers would be much appreciated...I promise to blog photos of my efforts, however pathetic... :)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hurt my hands a while ago and started up knitting to keep them loose and happy and such. Still knit to this day! Scarves and the like, but still. Knit, my dear, knit!

8:33 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Clare - Did someone teach you, or did you get a teach-yourself book or something? I think a (small) scarf might be a good starting point for me, nothing too complicated!

8:43 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

pinky c: I don't have the url anymore -- but there are videos on how to knit on the web! There are vids on how to crochet too -- which I think is easier and quicker (thus more instant gratification!).

12:52 am  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

definitely make cards! And send them to your blog friends! ;)

4:31 am  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Shrinky - Oooh, crochet - I hadn't thought of that. I'll have a look around the web for the videos.

B* - I'm definitely going to make cards too. Can't resist all the cute little card making stationery things that I've seen in the shops. :)

9:45 am  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Well, I'm a scrapbooker, myself, but I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. Hope your weekend was pleasant

2:08 pm  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Well, I'm a scrapbooker, myself, but I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. Hope your weekend was pleasant

2:08 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Thanks, Harmonia.

2:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PC - gran taught me when I was wee. Very very relaxing and brilliant for hands.

7:16 pm  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I've tried knitting, but honestly find it too difficult. Tee hee! I'm a knitting drop out, although I was going to try again soon. I love sewing and scrapbooking and card making.

I also made soaps once and it was quick and very easy, and when I gave them as gifts everyone was really surprised.

9:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you make soap?

10:57 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Oooh, yes, soap-making sounds fun, but is it very messy? I made candles at school when I was much younger - that was fun too.

I think I'll try a bit of knitting to start with, and some card making.

11:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home