A Room with a View

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Getting my brain into gear...

Thanks so much for all your good wishes...My cold finally seems to be getting a bit better, although I'm surprised that it's hung around this long. Mr Cupcake, the germ-spreader, was, of course, all better after a couple of days, whereas nearly a week later I still have a cough and no voice. I'm certain that I've suffered more with colds since I had my tonsils taken out a few years back, as they now always seem to end up as a chesty cough and blocked sinuses, neither of which I'd ever really had before. Of course, when the tonsils were still there I had terrible tonsilitis so often that the odd cough or two is really not that bad in comparison. I certainly don't regret having them out - it's one of the best things I've ever done health-wise (although it hurt more than I can even bear to think about for a couple of weeks).

What I hate most about colds is that they stop my brain working properly. Yes, I am sure that this cannot be scientifically proven (probably the opposite is true), but I just can't think when I've got a cold. I can feel the thoughts thudding around in my head, some of them even joining with others to make a process, but they seem to be interminably trapped in the cotton-wool and playdough that is my brain. This makes me so frustrated. Even simple stuff like writing an e-mail or a blog post feels as though I'm trying fathom out how to split an atom. I stare at the screen and nothing comes out. I try to think harder, but just end up feeling dizzy. I even had trouble making a to-do list of all the stuff I needed to catch-up on once my brain was functioning again. Ugh.

So, now that the brain is beginning to come back to life, it's time for action and organization! Just going to finish my coffee first... ;)

6 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

I'm glad you're feeling better :) I think it might be scientifically proven that it's harder to think when you're sick, actually. Thinking takes a lot of energy and your body generally tries to divert all its energy towards fighting off the bug.

6:02 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Thanks, Lucy. :)

6:09 pm  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

I agree that it's a problem to think when sick. I'm still having trouble getting my brain back on track. It's like I'm fighting through cobwebs.

On a different note, my dad called me to tell me what it was like to have an MRI. He told me that it sounded like he was inside Mom's breadmaker, and then it started heating up halfway through! Mostly, he tried to relax, and so he sang songs inside his head and thought about reasons to be thankful.

My father is very cute.

6:14 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Q of WP - Your Dad's absolutely right, the noises are very bizarre and loud, and they keep changing, which is a bit disturbing. I totally sang songs in my head too...it really did help to pass the time, and stop me from thinking too many 'this thing's so small, I can't move, it's making awful noises' thoughts.

I really hope the results of the scan will prove useful to your Dad's doctors in providing the best treatment for him.

6:19 pm  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I'm glad you're feeling a little better!

2:53 am  
Blogger krisluvswool said...

Hooray for feeling better!!!

5:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home