A Room with a View

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Mothers' Day

I understand those who complain that Mothers' Day has become way too commercial. I certainly get frustrated (as I do on Valentine's Day) that the price of flowers is hiked to way more than usual. BUT I still think that Mothers' Day has a place in our modern day society. Of course, we should all do nice things for our Mums throughout the year, but I don't think that there's anything wrong with having a special day to celebrate them and their relationships with their children. When I went for a walk a little earlier, I was heartened to see many mothers and their children making their way out for lunch, with Mums clutching bouquets of flowers, or gifts, or handmade cards. They were smiling as they went about their day, clearly feeling proud of and appreciated by their families. It was lovely to look through restaurant windows to see families sharing a meal and laughing and joking together, something which sadly seems to happen less and less frequently in the hurried world in which we live. So, yeah, the flowers may be more expensive today, but the joy of seeing families (often three or four generations) together is beyond value.

I won't be seeing my Mum today, but we did spend an Early Mothers' Day together yesterday (because, in their infinite wisdom, the local train company decided to screw up all the trains by planning engineering works on Mothers' Day!). It was fun just to hang out, drink coffee, shop and share a long lunch together.

So, Happy Mothers' Day Mum of Pink Cupcake! (Not that she reads this.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home