A Room with a View

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Indulgence...

Whenever I'm in London, I try to pop into my favourite shop to visit its phenomenal chocolate counter. I love the way that they hand-pack your selected chocolates using all manner of tissue paper, ribbons, gold-lined boxes and pretty bags. I'm sure it makes the chocolates taste even better, not that they need any enhancing. Their dark chocolate mints are my favourite chocolates ever, and whilst they are a little extravagant, just one of them lifts my spirits more than ten whole bars of ordinary chocolate could. So, you can imagine my huge delight when I discovered last week (in one of the vast amount of free lifestyle magazines that Trendy Seaside City has) that the chocolates for the shop are in fact made in a very old chocolate shop just round the corner from our flat. I couldn't believe what I was reading, so (as any good lawyer would!) I went in search of proof.

Entering the shop was like entering another world. The dark wood panelling and glass display cases were almost as mesmerizing as the chocolates themselves. And, yes, I did indeed confirm that they make the chocolates. Of course, I couldn't possibly leave without just a small box of mints, that would have been rude, wouldn't it? But, just one taste has left me realizing how difficult it will be to walk past the shop several times a day without indulging a little more often that my budget and waistline will allow. I hope you feel suitably sympathetic for the struggles that I face... ;-)

8 Comments:

Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I love the F&M website you linked to. I drooled over their descriptions of their chocolates for ages. And they have a "chocolate advisor"! I want that job!

10:36 pm  
Blogger comebacknikki said...

Oooh, I love F&M! The last time I was in London, I think we went there four times (during three weeks). Yikes! :)

10:54 pm  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Oh, just reading this made me hungry. And the smell of chocolate there ... oh, I can just imagine.

1:32 am  
Blogger JM said...

again...if ever I visit I am likely to stay!!

1:32 am  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

Oh goodness. And I struggle because I always have to walk past my fabulous cheese shop. (And, whenever I walk by, the owners come to the window and wave at me!) I can't fathom how much more often I'd give in if it was a chocolate shop.

6:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely an aside. But extra chocolates to cupcake for using "whilst" in a post! I love those kind of sorta-archaic words...

1:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant pink cupcake of course...

2:00 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

styleygeek - You'll have to get behind me in the queue for the chocolate advisor job at F&M! ;)

comebacknikki - I can totally understand! I love the whole shop, especially the food hall...the teas, the jams, the chocolates...simply divine. Let me know if you're ever back in London - I'd totally be up for an F&M blogger meet-up! :)

Jo(e) - The smell is amazing, especially as the smell of melting chocolate wafts down from where they make them above the shop.

Julie - If chocolate isn't a good enough reason to move to the UK, then what is? ;)

QofWP - It's tough and my will power isn't very strong! I'd also be lured by the cheese shop, so you have my sympathies. :)

Turtlebella - LOL! One of my best friends (who's from North Carolina) always jokes with my about my frequent use of the word 'whilst'. He thinks it's because I'm very, very English! :)

11:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home