A Room with a View

Friday, August 05, 2005

It's Friday...Let's celebrate!

In a moment of madness (a.k.a. a health-kick), Lovely Lawyer Husband and I decided that we would stop drinking alcohol from 1st August. It's not that either of us drink excessively, but we thought that it would be generally healthier (and would help with losing a bit of weight) if we stopped having wine with dinner etc. etc. In the past we've tried to cut back a bit by just having one glass, but we've been pretty lame on the willpower front once the bottle's open. (Actually, I blame LLH and his surreptitious topping-up tendencies for this!)

Anyway, being lawyers (even if I'm just an academic one, as opposed to the real type), we of course had to have an exception to our general prohibition. We decided that we would drink champagne on celebratory occasions...birthdays, holidays, finishing PhD (that one will be a whole cellar load of champagne!). Being even more lawyerly and in need of a start-the-weekend drink, we've been working on construing a broad definition of 'celebratory occasion'. The reasoning kinda goes...It's Friday. It's the weekend. Let's celebrate.
Actually, we're not quite as lame as it sounds...we do have a slightly better reason to celebrate. We've finally finished getting our house ready to sell - yay! It seemed to take forever and the last minute jobs meant that we only got just over 3 hours sleep last night. But, it seems to be paying off...two estate agents have visited already and the valuations are as good as we'd hoped. They also said the property was perfectly presented (yay for our House Doctoring skills!) and should sell pretty quickly. So, okay, it hasn't sold yet and there's more hard work to come, but hell, as Kool and the Gang would say....Celebrate good times, come on! Now where's the champagne??

5 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

That is something to celebrate! Congratulations.

But...oy. Now I'm going to have that song in my head all day! ;-)

I'd better scurry off to your random ten to find something to replace it...

6:05 pm  
Blogger Limon de Campo said...

Good luck with the house; it's so pleasing to know that one has presented one's house well. I worry all the time that mine is actually hideous and I had never realized it before.

6:29 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Phantom, sorry if you got the song stuck in your head...if it's any consolation, I did too!

Hi Limon, thanks so much for visiting my blog. :) I am very relieved that the estate agents thought the house was well presented, but I have to say the whole place feels totally alien now. It's all too tidy and perfect...I spent half the day perching on the front of the sofa with my laptop, so as not to crease the cushions! I miss student-style living ;)

10:11 pm  
Blogger Rana said...

I hear you on the weirdness of the "presentable" house; we had to clean things up at my parents' last house, and it just did not feel like home after that.

I didn't even notice the song as a song until you pointed it out - how lame am I?

12:13 am  
Blogger RussianViolets said...

Oh, good luck now that the house is ready to hit the market. For me, the horrible part has always been keeping it spotless. But you're over the biggest hurdle, and yeah for you!

2:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home