A Room with a View

Saturday, August 06, 2005

One of my favourite places...

Whenever Lovely Lawyer Husband and I have something big to discuss or want to make future plans, we go here...

This was once Rudyard Kipling's home and is now owned and maintained by the National Trust. It's a beautiful Jacobean house with its fantastic gardens, and Kipling's study is pretty much as he left it. But, I have to admit that I haven't actually been in the house for several years. We did the full-tour the first time we visited, but now we just tend to use our National Trust membership to take advantage of the gardens...

...and the delightful tea rooms (yay for freshly baked scones and homemade soup...mmmm!). It is in these tea rooms and on the peaceful outside terrace that LLH and I have made so many decisions and plans over the years...This was where LLH finalised the structure of his Masters dissertation and where we worked out how on earth we could finance my first year as a grad student. And, today it was where we discussed our search for a new home and other things we want to achieve over the next few months. We always go armed with notebooks to write lists of our goals and things-to-do (which clearly bemuses the other visitors enjoying their cream teas), and I always leave with a sense of accomplishment, motivation and excitement. It's a place that is both calming and invigorating at the same time.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

Now I will forevermore believe that all of my really hard decisions would be easier if I could make them in a Jacobean house over a lovely cream tea. This just looks like the loveliest way to make plans!

9:13 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Hi Rhonda...Cream tea can definitely ease the most difficult of decisions. :)

10:38 pm  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

wow! this is gorgeous. Thanks for posting pictures.

2:33 am  
Blogger jo(e) said...

I loved seeing these photos. I visited there years and years ago when I was a college student but the place was being worked on at the time and I couldn't really see any of it. So I loved getting this glimpse! How wonderful to have a connection to such a beautiful place.

5:46 am  
Blogger JM said...

This is why I haven't visited your fair land since a silly bus tour with my mom when I was 15 -- I am absolutely certain I would stay forever, given places like this to think and read.

3:10 pm  
Blogger RussianViolets said...

I've never been there, but it feels so comfortable. What lovely, lovely photos! Thank you for sharing them.

3:11 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

So glad you all liked the photos, it was nice to be able to share one of my favourite places through the blog. :)

Jo(e) - I was really excited to hear that you've actually been there! I took quite a few photos, so will put them all on flickr just as soon as I get around to registering for an account.

5:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home