A Room with a View

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Roast Chicken Flavour Crisps

Yes, we're in the business of random post titles here today, but actually it's very significant. A packet of roast chicken flavour crips (potato chips to any of my US bloggy-pals) was just about the best thing about my day. I don't mean to offend any vegetarians with this, and actually it shouldn't as the crisps were vegetarian. Although admittedly it's scary to think how many additives they used to make chicken flavour without even going near a chicken, but anyway, that's not the point...
I was stuck at the hospital for 8 hours. The staff were really kind (although my doctor was soooo young I thought she was Doogie Howserette), but I did spend most of that time just waiting around for stuff to happen, which meant I got to observe a lot of what is wrong with the National Health Service in this country. (I want to post about this, but I need to calm down and get my thoughts and ideas together first.)
As far as my own personal health dramas are concerned, we established that today the blood didn't want to come out (until its very last chance). I'm sitting here with cotton wool pads taped all over my body, looking a bit like a pin cushion. Fortunately it was worth it, all the blood tests were negative (although heaven knows what they were testing for!). The ultrasound scan and the ECG thing were also all clear. It was all a bit scary though, as I thought it would be over when they ruled out a clot in my leg, but then they freaked (because I have rib pain) that it had moved to my lungs (apparently more dangerous) so loads more tests and tons more waiting ensued. Thankfully it was fine, so whatever I have wrong with me I at least know my heart and blood is good. So it's back to the drawing board on the diagnosis...
But where did the roast chicken flavour crisps come into it? I had some cereal at 7.30am but couldn't get anything to eat in the hospital as I wasn't allowed to leave the ward, and they didn't offer me anything there (more cutbacks Mr Blair?). By 5pm, when I was still waiting for bloods, I was starving and this girl came into the waiting room eating...yes, you've guessed it...roast chicken flavour crisps. Normally I wouldn't even think about eating them, but my hunger pangs were so bad that the smell practically had me drooling over the room. So much so that as soon as they released me I went straight to the local store to buy some. Ahhhh....bliss. ;)
So yeah, roast chicken crips and pizza whilst watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart make me a content cupcake for now...Tomorrow it's back to the osteopath and next week the gynaecologist (I'll spare the details on that one), so it's all fun, fun, fun here...

7 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

well, i'm glad it's not heart or blood, but this is maddening to _me_, not knowing what's wrong with you, and i'm not even _you_!

8:55 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Awwww, thanks Julie. :) I totally wish they would just find something wrong that's treatable and then treat it...the not knowing is so wearing, but I'm at least glad to have ruled a couple more things out.

9:46 pm  
Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

Egads, how frustrating.

But I must tell you, roast chicken chips do not smell good!

Hope things get sorted out for you soon. And bring chocolate with you next time.

12:34 am  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh my goodness, I am glad the tests were ok, and I hope you get your answers and relief soon.

Jon Stewart is bliss alone for me :)

1:22 am  
Blogger Scrivener said...

Glad the tests were negative, I guess. Though like Julie said, it must be maddening to just continue to wait for an explanation. Hope you're feeling better soon.

3:48 pm  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

First of all, I'm glad that your tests came out clear, and that you don't have blood clots or anything. But I can't imagine how frustrating this situation is for you.

Secondly, thank you for the lovely comment on my blog! It makes me feel better that there are more grad students out there that have their heads on straight, and enjoy a good leaf-jumping.

(I also have been known to enjoy chicken-flavoured chips. My old student union used to give out these hot wings-flavoured chips for free for some reason, and now I crave very much.) For me, bliss is cold leftover Chinese food from the place near my parents' house, while drinking tea and watching an "old fuzzy blanket movie" (one that I love very much, but have watched so many times that it doesn't matter if I nap through parts of it).

7:22 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Profgrrrl, R2Ks and Scrivener - Thanks for you kind comments. :)

Q of WP - Thanks so much for stopping by. :) I've been reading your blog for ages, but only got around to commenting yesterday. Hot-wings flavoured chips sound awesome! And, I love the concept of an 'old fuzzy blanket movie'. :)

9:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home