A Room with a View

Monday, April 24, 2006

ABC Meme...

As seen almost everywhere...I'm doing this meme because although I have tons of real posts I want to write, I can't quite get my head together today...

Accent: Very, very English. Not as proper as the Royal Family (thankfully), but I could definitely hold my own in a Merchant Ivory film or as a newsreader on the BBC World Service.

Booze: Red or white wine depending on my mood and time of year. If it’s white, I like it very dry, and if it’s red, it has to be deep and full-bodied. Oh, and I love champagne too…and gin…and Pimms…and cocktails. Hmmm…I’d better stop before you get the wrong impression of me! ;) I rarely drink too much, I just enjoy a wide variety of drinks.

Chore I Hate: I dislike all cleaning chores, although I love living in a clean house. When I finally get motivated enough to do something (or when panic sets in because of the impending arrival or guests), I’m a total perfectionist about it, which means that it takes forever and I end up very grumpy.

Dog or Cat: I like dogs, but I adore cats. We’re going to be getting one or two kittens very soon.

Essential Electronics: Laptop.

Favorite Cologne(s): If by cologne, you mean perfume…I don’t like heavy smells (although I was really into that kind of stuff in the early 90s) and don’t always wear perfume. When I do it’s usually Clarins’ Eau Ressourcante, which is about as light and fresh as a perfume could get.

Gold or Silver: I don’t really wear a lot of either. My wedding and engagement rings are gold, but my earrings are mostly silver.

Hometown: Sleepy Boring Seaside Town. The sort of place that nobody under 80 should live and even discerning octagenarians avoid it. Fortunately, I escaped!

Insomnia: Sometimes, very badly, Sometimes, not at all.

Job Title: Graduate student.

Kids: No, and we don’t have plans to have any. It’s not something that either of us has ever wanted, and I’m feeling even more strongly about this as I get older (despite being told by many friends and relatives that the opposite would be true).

Living arrangements: As if any of you who’ve read this blog for a while don’t know! Of course, I live in my Dream Flat in Trendy Seaside City.

Most admirable trait: I like to think that I’m kind and thoughtful. I always try to think of others and do (even just little) things to help them out and make life a little easier.

Number of sexual partners: Not exactly something I’m willing to share with the internets…

Overnight hospital stays: Two. I had my adenoids removed when I was 7 and my tonsils removed when I was 25.

Phobias: Spiders and butterflies.

Quote: Oh, I can’t choose. I love quotes from plays, books, poems, songs, politicians…any really. The one that springs to mind right now is ‘Dreams, they complicate my life’, as I was listening to REM’s Green earlier this afternoon. (I love the way that while Michael Stipe sings this line, Mike Mills sings ‘Dreams, they complement my life’.)

Religion: None. But I do think about why this is the case quite often.

Siblings: None. But I always wanted a big brother.

Time I wake up: It really varies. I’ve never really got into a pattern, unless a particular schedule has dictated it. I never get up hugely late though, unless I’m unwell, as I hate the idea of missing out on the day. If I had the energy, I’d love to be up by 5.30am every day.

Unusual talent or skill: I remember all kinds of numbers without trying. Bank accounts, credit cards, telephone numbers...you name it, I remember it. What a waste of my memory!

Vegetable I refuse to eat: None. I’m very good about eating vegetables and fruits, which I’m hoping will counteract the fact that I’m also very good at eating bad things. (My husband has just gone to collect a take-out pizza…)

Worst habit: Worrying and procrastination. It’s a tie.

X-rays: Teeth, left wrist (I fell off my roller skates when I was 9 and broke it), ankle (sprained it when I was 20), spine and chest (as part of the numerous tests I had earlier this year, neither x-ray showed anything).

Yummy foods I make: I’m a terrible cook, but I can make really good scones and banana bread.

Zodiac sign: Aquarius.

7 Comments:

Blogger Harmonia said...

I forgot to tell you that I like the new layout!

This Meme looks very interesting! Thanks for the comments and the welcome back!

8:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not quite Royal Family? Aye, I believe it. More like Royale Family I'll bet. ;)

9:20 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Harmonia - Thank you! :)

Clare - Cheeky bitch! ;)

9:42 pm  
Blogger luckybuzz said...

Kittens! Can't wait for their appearance in the blog...!

11:45 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

luckybuzz - Hopefully very, very soon... :)

aspiring academic - Like you, I don't think that I attribute accents to people whose blogs I read either, even if I know where they are from.

11:16 am  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

The funny thing is that I do imagine accents. I imagine different people's voices when I read, and for some reason that makes me unreasonably happy.

It sounds like we have the same cleaning tendencies. I don't like my house to be dirty, but mostly I'm lazy and it seems like such a big job. Because if I am cleaning? All the floors are going to get scrubbed.

4:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, it's funny about the accent thing. I had two friends in grad school who were British and they were constantly making fun of each other because of their accents. And one of them privately told me she thought the other's was a bit put on and that it made her sound posher than she really was. I was always completely mystified! They sounded just like each other to me. I mean I can tell the difference between cockney and the queen... but that's about it. I'm going to start reading your blog with a British accent! - like qwp does. I think that sounds nifty.

7:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home