A Room with a View

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Much to do...

I was very productive yesterday, but only in terms of writing. I finally wrote something that I've been avoiding for way too long. I didn't enjoy doing it one bit, and editing it was even more painful. But it's done, done, done, and gone, gone, gone! Hooray! By the end, it was almost 2000 coherent words, which isn't too bad for a day's work.

Of course, I have to give you all credit for helping me get it done! When I don't want to do something, I can procrastinate as well as anyone (even the Queen of it!), and, of course, blogging is one of life's great procrastination tools. Not so yesterday. Blogging totally assisted rather than hindered my work. You see, when I really, really don't like doing something, I potter around the house finding enough things to distract myself with so that I don't have to return to my desk for hours on end. So I made a deal with myself, that if I stayed at the desk, I could read a blog post every time my writing dried up or I got fed up with it, and it actually worked!!! I did have one problem mid-morning, when I'd read all the stuff the had come onto my bloglines over night and then nobody posted for ages (because, of course, most of you were overseas and still asleep, and weren't thinking of my dire need for reading material! ;)), which led to frantic clicks on the refresh button. But it all came good in the end. So, don't let anyone tell you that blogging is a bad distraction.

Actually, I've been thinking a lot recently about what I've learned from blogging and fellow bloggers in so many different senses. Some funny, some useful, some serious, some educational, some heart-breaking, some thought-provoking...the list goes on. I've got the beginnings of a post about it, so really should put it together soon.

In the meantime, I've got a gazillion things on my to-do list. Here's just a few to start me off (will add as I go along)...
  • Washing-up.
  • Laundry (About 15 loads...the result of all our clothes being stuffed in cases in storage for two months while we moved. Everything is so creased it's unbelievable. I must get it done as the weather's changing and I'll have nothing to wear soon. *sigh*) Four loads so far...
  • Reply to some e-mails that have been sitting in my inbox for way too long and are making me feel guilty.
  • Write thank you letters for Easter gifts.
  • Pay some bills.
  • Tidy up (just a bit!).
  • Make list of everything I need to get done - too many bits of paper floating around! Still adding to it...
  • Book tickets for some fun events going on locally. Booked for some, still a few to arrange.
  • Go buy some coffee beans. This is arriving tomorrow. My new baby! Halloweenlover and I will be almost coffee-maker twins, but I had to get the version with a grinder as they don't stock her exact model in the UK. Thanks for the advice, HL, I shall raise my mug to you! :)

Oh yeah, could someone please tell me how I can cross through lines on this list when I'm done with them? I've seen tons of others do it, but I've never been able to work it out myself. Thanks!

Updated to add: Whilst I didn't get all this done, I did quite a few things not actually on the list. Oh, and you should have seen my first attempts at striking out lines on this. I had stuff crossed out by mistake all over the place. Html and I are not friends!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Put (strike) [BUT you have to replace my parentheses with < and > because the comment box won't let me use the HTML tags] before what you want to strikethrough and (/strike) after what you want to strikethrough. E.g.,

(strike)Do taxes(/strike)

I hope that makes sense!

12:15 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Thanks so much, purpledaisy! You're a star! :)

12:20 pm  
Blogger Scrivener said...

Hooray for getting tasks accomplished, especially writing tasks! And hooray for news that blogging helped you get work done, instead of avoiding it!

2:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you've known how to cross things out since 12.20.... It's 20.05 now, PC... come on... show us what you've done! ;)

8:11 pm  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Mouth hanging open in amazement at writing 2000 words in one day. Hooray!

9:14 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

Congrats on the writing. However, I am a good procrasinator as well!

3:41 am  
Blogger Limon de Campo said...

I've been a bad blog reader lately, but I'm back, and I LOVE your new design! I just had to tell you.

4:59 am  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Scriv - Yeah, I'm always most pleased to get writing tasks done. :)

Clare - Sweetie, you know that even the slightest bit of html scares me! It's taken me until today to work myself up to crossing stuff out. ;)

Phantom - Thanks! The writing wasn't too difficult from an academic point of view, so I guess the words flowed pretty easily. I don't get that much written very often!

Katie - Procrastinators unite! :)

Limon - Thanks so much! I absolutely love the template, but can take very little credit for it. It was the brilliant work of Clare from The Ninth Wave.

11:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home