A Room with a View

Friday, April 14, 2006

Just stopping by...

It's been a crazy busy week in the Pink Cupcake household, which is why posting's been light and will continue to be until Tuesday. Mr Cupcake took the week off work and we've been trying to get tons of things sorted out in the flat. Last Saturday, we made a 3 page long list of things to do and we've been plugging away at it ever since. We don't actually seem to have crossed a lot off the list, but I think that's because we've been tackling some of the bigger tasks first. We now only have a few more boxes left to unpack, and the living room and kitchen actually seem quite homely now. The bedroom is still a disaster area, but that's on the agenda for the rest of the weekend. Even if we don't get through all of the list before the weekend's out, at least we've got a clear idea of what we've got to do over the next few weeks, and that in itself helps to bring some order to the chaos.

It hasn't all been work though. I spent much of the earlier part of the week still trying to shake off the damn cold/cough thing that's been hanging around for way too long. I think it's been particulary hard to get over because my body just hasn't fully recovered yet from all the medical dramas of the last six months. My immune system needs a vacation.

On a jollier note, we've also spent some time trying to acclimatize ourselves to the wonderful city that is now our home. There is just so much going on here that I constantly feel like I'm missing out on something amazing. So, it's been nice to devote a few hours to do some preliminary research as to what goes on and when, and also to get a better sense of a least a small part of the city by wandering around. There's so much I want to write about all of this, partly so I can share with the blogosphere and partly as a way of getting my head around it, so I'm keeping an (ever growing) list of forthcoming posts. (I've also unpacked the digital camera now, so photoblogging should follow soon...)

In addition to all this frivolity, I really need to give some serious thought to my research over the next few days. I've got a few unpalatable tasks ahead, which I won't blog about right now, but which take up more of my thoughts than I'd like. Nevermind, once they are out of the way things will move forward one way or another, and that should be very freeing. (Sorry if this sounds a little cryptic.)

What else? I just watched the 4th Harry Potter movie (very good, I thought) and we made an amazing curry for supper (from one of Jamie Oliver's books, I'll post the recipe sometime as it's excellent for chicken, fish or vegetable curry). Oh, and the BEST THING EVER...our wireless internet connection finally works, so now I can blog from the bedroom, the sofa... anywhere. This will certainly help me to catch up with my backlog of blog reading next week!

Almost forgot, thanks so much for all your comments in relation to our book/CD (dis)organization dilemma. I'm pleased to report that positions have been reconsidered and compromises reached without UN involvement. I'll post a full update soon. :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt the same way when I lived in NYC awhile back. Sometimes I would be sitting around in my apartment, and would suddenly feel overcome by the feeling that there was something fabulous was going on that I was missing out on. But sometimes I just needed to stay home and read a book!

Isn't WiFi great! (Which I like to pronouce WeeFee like a French friend of mine does when she's speaking English)

4:36 pm  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

It's good to hear from you! I'm glad that you can now blog from the sofa, just as I'm doing right now. (Wireless and I are good friends, as well.)

I am fiercely jealous of your Jamie Oliver book. I pour over them in the bookstore.

I'm really looking forward to your photoblogging! Everything's sounding so exciting.

5:38 am  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Turtlebella - LOL! I love the idea of pronoucing it WeeFee. :) Sounds much more sophisticated.

QofWP - I have three of Jamie Oliver's books and they all have tons of yummy recipes in them. I really like the fact that they are never too complicated, which is very good for my limited (read: bad) culinary skills!

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home