A Room with a View

Friday, January 13, 2006

100 Facts About Pink Cupcake In 100 Days: Fact Two

When I was little, I really wanted to learn a musical instrument. I started off with the recorder, but was desperate to learn a proper instrument. At my school, the first instrument we were allowed to take lessons on was the violin. For some reason you had to wait several more years to learn a wind instrument. So I badgered my parents into buying me a violin. I was always okay at it, but never great. Even when I'd been playing for a few years, it still sounded terrible to me. Violins just don't sound good unless you are really accomplished. All my friends waited until they could learn the flute or saxophone or something much more glamourous, and I desperately wanted to change instruments, but may parents said I must persevere with the violin. I gradually hated it more, and haven't picked a violin up in eleven years. I knew it was my fault for not waiting to learn a different instrument, and that makes me a little sad as I may have kept up with something else. Of course, I could learn to play another instrument now, but isn't that one of those New Year's Resolutions that one makes but never keeps?
There is a positive to hating playing the violin though. It made me sing more and more. I loved music, and, as I didn't play an instrument I liked, I used my voice instead. When I was 16 I won a choral scholarship at my boarding school which paid for classical training, and I adored it. I love singing because to do it well (in my opinion) you have to focus on it completely...it has to absorb you. I love the intensity of it. The need for absolute concentration, yet the simultaneous ability to lose yourself in the music. I really should start singing again...

5 Comments:

Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

Wow. Does that ever make me miss being in an orchestra, and part of a large choir. Getting lost in the music is my most favourite thing ever.

When I was in high school, I was part of a 400-person concert choir (plus every smaller chamber choir and jazz ensemble available), which meant I was singing every day. I miss having that kind of vocal range and control, where your voice really becomes a musical instrument.

1:43 am  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I completely agree with you about the kind of absorption/concentration that singing requires - it's so much fun, and such a wonderful break from regular work!

(and I hope your medical situation improves soon!)

2:08 am  
Blogger Seeking Solace said...

My husband bought me an electric piano for Christmas. It's about the same size as a standard upright piano, without the cost. I have wanted to take up playing as a way to lose myself too.

I hope you continue singing. Something about music is nurturing to the soul.

BTW, I hope you a doing well. Please keep us posted on your progress.

5:21 pm  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Awesome. I wish we could have an audioblog of you singing!

I decided to add a link to you on Monday Memories since you are doing this great project!

5:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home