A Room with a View

Thursday, November 24, 2005

My Three Thanksgivings...

Being English, I didn't experience Thanksgiving celebrations until two years ago. It was my first year as a grad student in OUE City and two of my closest friends were from the States. One of their Dads was so upset that his daughter (actually, both of his daughters, as her sister was visiting with us at the time) would be away from home for Thanksgiving for the first time, that he paid for her to take a bunch of us out to dinner. It certainly wasn't a traditional Thanksgiving meal, we went to a French restaurant close by where we lived, but it was really fun to hear about the different traditions that our friends and their families had for this particular holiday. We even played the game that one friend played every single year. We each wrote down two things that we were thankful for (some meaningful, some pretty frivolous), mixed them up, read them out and then we all tried to guess who wrote which one. It was fun, I think mainly because I got to experience a little of a holiday that had never been part of my life before.
Last year was a little different, but I did get to celebrate with my American and non-American grad school friends. Instead of going out, we had an international potluck meal, and everyone brought a dish that was traditional (or at least influenced) by their home country. It was awesome, as in the building I lived in there were 24 students of 17 different nationalities, so the range of food was immense. And, in honour of Thanksgiving, I ate my first and only Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. Ewwwww! It was gross. I totally don't understand why so many people love it. One of my friends literally held a knife to me to make me eat it, and even then I only managed a little. Ewww. Ewww. Ewww. :-(
This year I'm back home with LLH, so not celebrating Thanksgiving in any real way, unless you count the fact that I'm having to watch the Thanksgiving NFL Game (of course, being an Atlanta Fan, LLH is pretty happy right now). But I do feel like I've celebrated a virtual Thanksgiving through many of your blogs. Reading about your plans, your journeys, your food, your families, your stresses and your traditions has definitely spread a little holiday warmth across the Atlantic to the Pink Cupcake House. And so, I raise my glass (yes, any excuse for a glass of red wine!) to all my bloggy pals in the States...Happy Thanksgiving to you all! :)

13 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

I toast you back with bourbon slush. It is the traditions that are very fun. So you aren't a big PB&J fan--SOS's grandmother made me eat pb and tomato. I am not lying. Not as bad as I would think...

Anyway, I shall make you an honorary American today and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving :)

10:07 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Well, I'm afraid that you couldn't convice me to eat PB & Tomato! ;)

Very happy to be an Honorary American today...

10:21 pm  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

12:07 am  
Blogger krisluvswool said...

I'm a PB and J addict... also good is PB and marshmallows (not the marshmallow spread... actual marshmallows!).

Happy thanks giving to you too :)

5:37 am  
Blogger Jane Dark said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
PB&J can be messed up pretty easily. The peanut butter that's sold in stores is often too sugary; the jelly is terrible...and to get it really rght, it needs to be on toast.

11:59 am  
Blogger Limon de Campo said...

I toast you back with my morning Diet Coke. I'm feeling a bit of a food hang-over this morning; I kind of wish we hadn't celebrated a holiday centered on eating, but it was sure fun yesterday.

P.S. Maybe the problem with your PB&J was the bread? I think they are best on white bread.

3:20 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Wow, you are all such PB experts! I'm not sure whether I'll ever be swayed, but I'll definitely have to have another try at some point (following all your advice as to bread, toast, marshmallows, bananas etc.). :)

4:33 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

The best PB&J is with grape jelly on flour tortillas, and heated up a tiny bit so they are soft and melty. I'm with APL: I had no idea it was even possible to dislike PB&J! It's such an institution. It is also hilarious to me that someone brought them to a potluck! What else was there? What did you bring?

10:56 pm  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I ate PB&J for lunch every day for at least 15 years. Peanuts are a no-no for me while I'm nursing; god, I miss it!

But if I could get could tea and scones, I might be willing to overlook the lack of PB&J.

Thanks for the well-wishes, Pink Cupcake. I hope your weekend was a good one.

12:34 am  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Oh Phantom, tea and scones are my FAVOURITE thing, so feel free to stop by for those at anytime. :)

Shrinky - I think my friend brought them to the potluck as we were supposed to take something traditional from our home country, and I guess he thought that you couldn't get anything much more American (someone else from the States made cookies, and another made fried chicken). What else did we have? Icelandic chocolate cake, some traditional Australian dips, Belgian chocolates (mmmm), some Chinese and Malay food, something with Dutch cheeses...There was actually tons of different things which didn't go together very well, but everyone tried to keep with the national theme. I didn't cook anything (there was a good reason, though can't think what!) so bought Jaffa Cakes! Can't get much more English than that. ;)

2:10 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, what are jaffa cakes?

I was in the british section of world imports (a national chain) the other day. It had some very yummy looking scone mixes there. It is impossible to get good scones here, which saddens me terrifically.

12:05 am  
Blogger Kait W. said...

Jane - the peanut butter here in Britain is really not sugary ENOUGH. It's very pale and doesn't have a lot of taste. So poor PC didn't get to experience the wonder and magic that is a traditional American PBJ...tee hee hee

Peanut butter seems to be only an American institution, I'm afraid...I have yet to meet a non-American who likes peanut butter.

12:16 am  
Blogger delagar said...

Well, frankly, PB&J sucks. Peanut butter and mayonaise is much better. And absolutely on the white bread. (Why yes, I am from the South.) When I was a kid, toward the end of the month, when we couldn't afford the peanut butter, we'd just have the mayonaise sandwiches. Those are pretty good too. Mmmm. Nostalgia.

11:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home