A Room with a View

Monday, January 09, 2006

Four Things Meme

As seen everywhere. I must be the last to do this, so I won't tag anyone else...

Four Jobs You've Had in Your Life

  • Shop assistant in a large stationery store. Sounds like heaven for someone with an addiction to all things pens and paper, but, no. Just a lot of heaving around of dusty boxes and dealing with stroppy customers. Not much fun at all.
  • Teaching English to German students.
  • Paralegal specializing in Employment Law.
  • Political Agent (planning and organizing election campaigns, party recruitment, fundraising etc.).

Four Movies You Could Watch Over And Over

Four Places You've Lived

  • Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
  • Oxford
  • Worthing, Sussex
  • Sleepy Boring Village

Four TV Shows You Love To Watch

  • The West Wing
  • Judging Amy
  • The Gilmore Girls
  • 24

Four Places You've Been on Vacation

  • Moscow
  • Beijing
  • Prague
  • San Francisco

Four Blogs You Visit Daily

I visit WAY more than four blogs daily, but four of the first I'm sure to check in on are...

Four Of Your Favourite Foods

  • Scones with strawberry jam and cream (and a pot of Darjeeling to wash it all down).
  • Thickly sliced, wild smoked salmon, with dill dressing.
  • Guacamole with tortilla chips.
  • My Mum's special recipe for casserole. The smell and taste are so comforting and take me right back to my childhood. (She made it again for me yesterday...yay!)

Four Places You'd Rather Be

  • Florence
  • Champagne (Doing lots of tasting and stocking up on supplies!)
  • Krakow (In one of my favourite tea rooms in the whole world.)
  • Tallinn

Four Albums You Can't Live Without

Arrrgghh. Just four?! That's not fair. I'd waste a day trying to figure this out, and still wouldn't get anywhere. So here's four that I'd miss right now as I've been listening to them tons recently...

  • Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
  • Patti Smith - Horses
  • The Zutons - Who Killed The Zutons?
  • Foo Fighters - In Your Honor

Four Vehicles You've Owned

Despite passing my test (after several years of lessons, although only one test) three years ago, I haven't driven since that day. I. hate. it. I like living in city centres where I can walk everywhere, although I don't right now. So, umm, not sure what to put here...

  • BMX bike, when I was 7.
  • Creaky old bike.
  • Rollerblades.
  • Skateboard, when I was 8...not that I could ever manage to stand up on it!

18 Comments:

Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

R.E. stationery store: Did you get discounts?

I like that Foo Fighters album.

3:20 pm  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

oh, and? HA! about that Legally Blonde comment... totally Elle Woods is too cute.

3:21 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

B*, yep, we got discount, which was great, but hopeless in terms of me having a part-time job to save some money for uni, as I ended up spending it ALL in the shop!

And, as for Elle, I have some fluffy pink pens just like those she uses in the movie, which my friends gave me before I started my PhD, because my Uni is very old and prestigious, and they thought it was the English equivalent of Elle getting into Harvard. :) I am blonde, but I hope I'm a little less flaky than Elle, but oooh, I'd like her figure...

3:33 pm  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Great meme answers. Guac, yes! Rollerblades, yes! Foo Fighters, Italy, West Wing and GG, Dead Poets, Legally blond -- yes-o-rama! Political agent sounds like a very interesting job. And you've lived in more exotic places than I (since I've only lived in the US).

4:33 pm  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

I worked in a stationary shop as well! In many ways, it was the greatest job ever for an undergrad (my discount of cost+10% was heavenly), and I am very much a pen addict (and was very pleased with myself for being able to identify the needed refills for any pen without even opening up the pen). However, it really was a lot of heaving dusty boxes (and that's where I developed my allergies), and my boss was veeeeery toxic. Quitting that job was the best day of my life.

6:50 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

R2KS - Being a Political Agent was tons of fun and tons of hardwork, I'll definitely blog more about it at some stage, especially as there are some funny stories that go along with it. Oh, and if you lived in the UK you wouldn't think the places I've lived were exotic at all, although Oxford is as wonderful as most people imagine it to be and Whitley Bay is an experience that's hard to describe! :)

Q of WP - Pen addicts unite! :) It seems that most academic bloggers are addicited to pens/stationery. I wonder if that's why we've all stayed in academia so long...just for the constant opportunities to buy new notebooks and pens?!!

7:23 pm  
Blogger Harmonia said...

Another great list! :)

Hope all is well...I will be commenting more...need to catch up on your posts! SOrry about that!
:)

7:52 pm  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear sounds like law firm.

8:15 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Liz - May sound like a law firm, but it's totally not that glamourous! It's a very northern and pretty tacky seaside town with freezing cold weather...It does have great Fish and Chip shops and Indian restaurants though. :)

Harmonia - Hi! Thanks for stopping by. I need to catch up with your posts too - you post so many great recipes!

8:45 pm  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

online, we can all have Elle's figure, sweetie! ;)

12:53 am  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

I'm sure that the love of pens and notebooks has kept me in academia. My former roommate actually accused me of that, lately. (I think she claimed that she got over the "first day of school" excitement in elementary school, whereas I get all excited every semester.)

2:13 am  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

B* - Exactly! Just imagine me that way... :)

Q of WP - I'm sure that's so true for many of us!

11:43 am  
Blogger Scrivener said...

I was just about to go back and edit my four things meme to tag you for this one, since you did the five weird things one. Damn, now I need someone else.

1:17 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Scrivener - I'm easing my way back into blogging with memes. :)

1:24 pm  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I think I've seen A Room With A View at least 15 times. In my next life, I want Helena Bonham Carter's hair as it appears in that movie.

10:55 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Phantom - Me too, me too. :)

10:45 am  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I've never seen A Room With a View!!! I feel so inadequate!

I'm so glad to see you're back. I've missed you!

12:41 am  
Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I love stationery too. But I think it's closely linked to love of procrastination. Can't possibly read those articles until I have a nice set of colour-coded folders to file them in. Can't draft a plan for that paper until I've sharpened all six of my new pencils. No point in starting that new project until I've got exactly the right sized notebook to keep my notes about it in. :)

5:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home