A Room with a View

Monday, March 20, 2006

Back at last...

Wow! It's been far too long, but I'm pleased to report that we finally moved to our Dream Flat in Trendy Seaside City exactly two weeks ago, and after some drama with an incredibly long and ancient telephone line, we at last have a fast internet connection again. *sigh of relief*. Although I've taken breaks from blogging in the past, I've never been without an internet connection, so I've been able to catch up with all of you, even when my own posting's been light. So, I'm thrilled to be back and desperate to catch up on my blog reading, although I can see that's going to be a mammoth task, and one which is infinitely more appealing than scrubbing the filthy kitchen that we inherited in our flat. However, we WILL have to stop eating take-out every night fairly soon (we're getting a little too regular in the local chinese restaurant!), so do bear with me...

The last few weeks have been a complete whirlwind. Moving out of the first home that we owned, via my Mother's house for three weeks, then onto Dream Flat (which is almost two hundred years old, and requiring the attention that a property of that age demands, especially as it has been pretty unloved for several years). All of this was simultaneously exhilarating and emotionally draining. It also requires a pretty good sense of humour...you certainly can't take yourself too seriously when it takes over two hours to remove the most disgusting toilet seat that you've ever seen because it's totally crusted up with God only knows what! Ewwww. But, the massive amounts of work that we have to do really are a labour of love. We adore the flat - even in its current state - and still walk around staring up at the high ceilings and not quite believing that we actually live here. I'm actually amazed that it's so easy to feel excited and enchanted about something that in some ways is a total wreck. (I'll definitely blog photos of the flat, just as soon as I locate the digital camera, which could be in any one of 70 or so boxes that remain unpacked...)

My excitement only heightens when I go outside the building. I get a tingle in my spine every time I walk into the square and look up at the magnificent architecture, across at the gardens and down to the sea. It really does take my breath away and I feel truly privileged to live here. I also feel a sense of responsibility for my environment (and a sense of pride, I guess) that I have never before felt in quite the same way.

And, of course, it's also amazing to actually live in a city, especially one that is so rich culturally and intellectually. I'm totally overwhelmed by the amount that is going on and all the amazing things that there are to do and to become involved with. It's so wonderful to once again be living within short walking distance of amazing coffee shops, restaurants, independent bookshops, galleries, museums, and to be part of a community where so many different people are passionate about so many diverse things. I feel like a child in a candy shop whirling round to look at all the different things on display.

I have so much I want to write about, but I'd better stop now. I think I'll keep a list of things that I want to blog about soon, just so I don't forget...I couldn't possibly deprive you of the tale of the old lady who takes her Teddy Bear to the cafe and lets it talk to the customers, could I?! In the meantime, here's an aerial photograph of our square. (The sea is at the bottom, the gardens in the middle and the houses round the outside.)

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad this finally worked out and you're getting settled. Your new place sounds amazing - and I'm completely jealous of having the sea at the bottom of your square like that! How wonderful!

2:45 pm  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Hooray! I'm so glad you're back -- we've missed you.

And you can count me among the jealous. Dream Flat sounds just ideal... well, maybe except for the encrusted toilet seat...

5:45 pm  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

I'm skeeved out about the toilet seat, but insanely jealous about the rest. The sea!!! How great.

Enjoy your new place, Pinky C.

6:06 pm  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

Eh, encrusted toilet seats can be replaced (you wouldn't believe how gross Chris's old place started off, but then when you really cleaned it, it was spectacular!), and totally worth it for that view! And the 200-year-old flat!

That looks gorgeous, Pink. Maybe I'll show up there, with suitcases. :) (And now you've inspired me to go for a walk to the ocean.)

6:09 pm  
Blogger JM said...

so jealous. congrats!

9:10 pm  
Blogger comebacknikki said...

Yay! Congratulations! :)

I can't wait to see some more pics - it looks like a beautiful area!

1:45 am  
Blogger Seeking Solace said...

Cheers to you and welcome back!!!!

1:57 am  
Blogger krisluvswool said...

Wow! Looks like the 7 month wait was worth it!!! I just hope our 7 DAY wait (almost, anyway) proves to be as fruitful... well somewhat fruitful at least ;)

2:03 am  
Blogger Limon de Campo said...

Whoo-hoo! I'm glad you are back, and your new flat sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

4:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! You're back blogging!

8:14 pm  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Wow. That is beautiful.

So glad to have you back. Are you feeling better?

12:20 am  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

Thank you all so much for your good wishes. I'll be sure to give you a virtual tour of the flat as soon as I find the camera!

Liz - Thanks for asking. I have had some better days recently, which is good, and am now under a doctor who seems to be getting to the bottom of it all. I'm seeing him again this week, so will hopefully be able to improve things further after that. I'll keep you updated.

9:24 am  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

This is all very good news.

4:10 pm  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Hurray! You're back! I'm so excited about dream flat, and cannot wait to see pictures.

4:06 pm  
Blogger Pink Cupcake said...

HL - Will post pictures as soon as digital camera is located among the boxes!!! :)

10:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home