A Room with a View

Friday, January 20, 2006

100 Facts About Pink Cupcake In 100 Days: Day Nine

I was just reading Running2Ks' post about her embarrassing moment on the day that she first saw Titanic and met her in-laws-to-be. It reminded me of the day that my husband and I saw Titanic. The memory is not about the movie itself, but about the reason we almost didn't see it. Although my husband had proposed to me a couple of months before, we decided not to tell our families about our engagement until we saw them in person for my 21st Birthday celebrations. We were living near Newcastle at the time and were stopping off at my future in-laws' home in Yorkshire overnight, before we all headed south to stay with my family. We arrived in Yorkshire mid-morning and were due to see Titanic at 8pm, which of course left hours and hours for my husband-to-be to tell his parents that we were getting engaged. Or so I would have thought. He was uncharacteristically nervous and kept pacing up and down and missing opportunities to tell them. Every time I thought he was going to get to it, he somehow changed the subject or something else intervened. Looking back, it was terribly sweet for a normally confident and articulate man to be so tongue-tied, although at the time I wished he'd just spit it out! I'm not sure why he was so nervous (his parents really liked me and we'd been living together for quite a while, so they were unlikely to be surprised), but he finally managed to tell them just before we left for the cinema. They were over the moon and we quickly had a glass of Champagne. So as you can imagine, it was a totally incongruous time to watch such a tragic film and I really couldn't get my head into the plight of Kate and Leonardo. I was in the land of engagement fluffiness. So yes, I was the slightly insane looking girl who had a grin on her face throughout the film (even when Celine Dion was singing!)...

2 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

Oh wow, you were smiling through Titanic. That is sweet. And it explains why I cried so hard--I was actually crying for the both of us. LOL!

3:50 am  
Blogger Jane Dark said...

This is hilarious. At least I bet it wasn't an evil grin, which is what I get whenever Celine Dion sings...

8:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home