A Room with a View

Sunday, January 15, 2006

100 Facts About Pink Cupcake In 100 Days: Day Four

The two most important men in my life were/are huge NFL fans. Of course, this wouldn't be in the slightest bit weird if either of them were American or had lived in the States or had some other connection to the NFL, but that wasn't the case at all. My Father, who was a huge fan of all sports, got into it in the early 1980s, when just about nobody in the UK had heard of it. He was teased by his friends for the fact that he always stayed up late on Sundays to watch this massively long game that nobody understood. He ritualistically took the Monday after the Super Bowl as holiday. I remember him waking me up in the middle of the night to watch the half-time show with him. He was a Chicago Bears fan. (He wouldn't be happy that Carolina are 7 points up as I write this...)
My husband has also been an NFL fan since he was 12, although I didn't know it when we started dating. He has only missed one Super Bowl in the last 20 years...the night we started dating! I didn't realize what an enormous sacrifice he was making at the time, and he didn't know that his new girlfriend was one of the only girls in England who could discussing the intricacies of offensive and defensive strategies. ;) My husband is a Falcons fan.
Sadly, my Dad died 6 years before I met my husband, but I feel sure that they would have hung out each Sunday in the season, painstakingly discussing each play. And so, despite the fact that NFL games get a little tedious for me, I also find them oddly comforting and a way of feeling close to the two best men I've ever known.

7 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

This is lovely, Pink Cupcake. I used to watch NFL games with my dad when I was a child, and we, too, rooted for the Chicago Bears.

1:00 am  
Blogger Seeking Solace said...

What a great story.

I am a huge NFL fan (Go Steelers...I am hoarse after that game!!!!) My father was a football coach and my brother played in college until an injury ended his chances of going further. I learned everything I know about the game from my dad. I know more about the game than most women.

I am sorry about the Bears. I think a Bears - Steelers Super Bowel would have been great.

2:39 am  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

You are clearly a better wife than I am. (Or at least a more supportive wife.) Chris is a huge Canadian football fan, but my brain shuts down around anything football-related, and especially related to our home team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

3:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a touching post and great idea for a weblog. I don't think could come up with one hundred things in one hundred days about myself. I'm bookmarking your blog now. The public wants to know.

4:54 am  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I wish they could have known each other. How sweet is this? Sorry about the Bears--we were rooting.

5:22 pm  
Blogger krisluvswool said...

What a sweet story-- here I can only associate NFL with drunken good-ole-boys and many other things I hate.

I loved hs football, and some aspects of college football as an undergrad; maybe next time my in-laws are watching I'll think of this post :)

10:19 pm  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

That's beautiful.

9:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home